Friday, February 16, 2018

Create A Habitable Planet for Humans

PART 1

As a practice for your upcoming assignment on creating a planet that is habitable by human-like life forms, you are going to experiment with NASA's extreme planet makeover.  You will balance 5 factors to create an earth-like habitable world. 

1) The size of the planet (more gravity, atmosphere...)
2) The type of planet
3) The distance relative to the largest and nearest star (the Goldilocks Zone)
4) What type of star it is close to
5) The planet's age

By adjusting the distance from its star, the star type, the planet’s age and size, you can determine if your planet is habitable [by human-like creatures] or not. When you’re done playing around with the sliders, click on the little camera icon to take a snapshot of your very own planet.  If your planet is too small or too far from a star, then you create a cold icy planet that may not be able to sustain life.  If your planet is too close...singe.

PART 2

After reading the directions below: go to this website.

Your goal is to make a habitable planet by adding enough water, atmosphere and clouds to reach global average temperature of about 15°C (59°F). You can mix and match, add or remove water, atmosphere or clouds.
  • Click an item from the right side (red panel) to add that element
  • Click an item in the left to remove that element
  • HINT You must put at least 3 clouds by the planet!!
After each click, it will take a few seconds for the planet to reach a stable, balanced temperature.

Post how many years it took you to make the planet livable.  Use a complete sentence and remember your name.

23 comments:

  1. i created a livable planet in 7852 million years and i created a super earth in the first one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made an ice ball and it took me 2016 million years to make it livable.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my planet livable in only 1718 years, then I did a CRAZY speedrun of only 1061 years.

    Locklan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made my planet livable 2829 million years.
    -Brynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made my planet livable till 3090 million years old.
    Aana

    ReplyDelete
  6. i made my planet live to 3818 million years old
    peyten

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Well done, Sean. Close to the "Planet King's" score. A little more practise and I'm sure you'll eclipse me!

      Delete
  8. 5128 million years
    Celina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I did it in 442 million years!
    (only on my second try!)
    ~Hirsh

    ReplyDelete
  10. i made my planet livable in 5375 million years

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made my planet livable in 5375
    Anrika.H

    ReplyDelete
  12. Image result for planet

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made my planet livable in 5375
    Anrika.H

    ReplyDelete
  14. It took me 606 million years.
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1970 first try on my planet
    Jaeger I-H

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made a super Earth And I made planet in 357 million years.
    Evan

    ReplyDelete

Please remember the rules and etiquette before you post.